I was supposed to fly to New York in a few days, but I just got a job offer I can’t decline and had to cancel my flight. 😦 Though I’m a bit sad about not heading back to New York, more work means more money and that means more travels in the future. 🙂
I’ve had already made a list of things to do in New York in summer, which I still wanna post for a) anyone who is still looking for things to do in NYC and b) for myself for a trip to New York in the future.
Things to in New York in summer:
- Spend a day at Governors Island: I’ve never been and am super curious about it. Mostly the hammock grove! 🙂
- Go to Coney Island for a dip in the ocean and to ride the Wonder Wheel. Plus: the Coney Island Art Walls which hopefully will be back next year.
- Visit Rockaway Beach! I loved it when I visited in 2012 but haven’t been back since it was hit by hurricane Sandy.
- Head to the Socrates Sculpture Park in Queens for a movie on Wednesdays.
- Dance at MoMA PS 1 Warm Up parties on Saturdays in Long Island City in Queens.
- Visit the flea and food markets: Brooklyn Flea in Fort Greene, Hester Street Fair or LIC Flea and Food, the Bushwick Flea, Smorgasburg or Hell’s Kitchen Flea.
- See a free concert at Summer Stage.
Thing you can only do this summer in NYC:
- See the “Understanding” artwork by Martin Creed in Brooklyn Bridge Park.
- See Katharina Grosse’s graffiti all over an abandoned house in Fort Tilden.
- Visit the Museum of Ice Cream – if you can get a ticket somehow.
- Check out Summer Streets: Park Avenue will be closed for traffic on three Saturdays in August until 2 pm!
How I’m planning to keep cool during the summer heat:
- Drink all of the cold brew I can. I go to Starbucks more often than I’d like to admit, but I wanna try other places next time. Here’s a great list of the best cold brew and iced coffee in town.
- Jump in the pop-up pool in Brooklyn Bridge Park.
- Take the ferry instead of the subway if possible: the East River Ferry to Brooklyn or Queens, the American Princess to the Rockaways, NYC Water Taxi or the Staten Island Ferry.
- Eat all the ice cream from Ample Hills (the best!), Melt, Big Gay Ice Cream, Mr. Softee and super-hyped ice cream rolls at 10below.
- If everything else fails: head to a air-conditioned museum. I wanna see the Guggenheim, the Museum of the City of New York and the sky room of the New Museum. I also love the Metropolitan Museum and its roof terrace and the Brooklyn Museum.